Sunday, March 28, 2010

Introduction

Greetings to all who will read this. My name is Charles Lefebvre, and I will be using this space to review all sorts of media that I come across, but mainly focusing on film, books, music, and maybe the occasional video game or television episode/season.

I want to get back into writing for pleasure. This year, I've mainly been writing for school and for academics, and some of the papers I have been writing have almost killed my love for writing. I'm hoping that this third attempt at a blog will reinvigorate the creative spirit inside of me.

One thing about my reviews to note is that I will not use star ratings or any sort of grading to denote whether I like the film or not. I find star ratings absolutely meaningless. The content of the review is what determines if i want to see a film, and not the rating. Think about it. If you are interested in a film, you'll see it regardless of a rating. If a film is rated ****1/2 instead of *****, are you less likely to see it? No. And the grading system (used by Pitchfork) is flawed too, even though it is the content of their reviews that matter most. Again, what makes an album that scored 8.5 better than an album that scored 8.2? So, there will be no grading in my reviews.

These reviews will be written mainly in an essay format, with some stream of consciousness writing to break up the flow. I don't always plan out what I am going to say For music, I plan on doing a track by track review. I'm still working the kinks out of the system, so expect it to evolve over time.

I guess I should give you an idea about me and what I like. I write reviews for Stylus magazine at the University of Winnipeg. I am very open minded in regards to what I'll read,k watch or listen to.

My eleven favorite movies are as follows:
1. The Crow
2. Schindler's List
3. Memento
4. The Usual Suspects
5. Almost Famous (director's cut)
6. No Country For Old Men
7. The Dark Knight
8. Hot Fuzz
9. The Wrestler
10. Lost In Translation
11. Blade Runner

Some albums I enjoy:
"Back in Black" - AC/DC,
"Wish You Were Here" - Pink Floyd,
"The Downward Spiral" - NIN,
"Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness" - Smashing Pumpkins
"From A Basement on a hill" - Elliott Smith,
"OK computer" - Radiohead
"Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" - Wilco
"Is This It?" - The Strokes
The Ramones self titled album
"The Marshall Mathers LP" - Eminem

TV I like
Seinfeld, 24, Friends, Fresh Prince of Bel Air, Frasier, The Office, Big Bang Theory. (I don't watch a lot of television).

I will review a lot of my favorites in this blog, and feel free to suggest something for me to review in the comments. I'll have my first review up shortly.

I'm Charles.

No comments:

Post a Comment